On October 15th, community members met at Metro Hall for the first TYFPC community meeting of the 2012-2013 year. As the TYFPC enters its fourth year, we’re excited to present our focus/priorities for this year; our council member team (see here); and the formation of new committees with tons of exciting volunteer opportunities (see here).
Chair Michelle Macintosh and vice-chair Sasha McNicoll presented a city update, with key priorities and how the TYFPC will move forward in engaging, supporting, and pushing for good food policy.
The TYFPC sees three current municipal food policy priorities:
- Updating the City’s Official Plan (adding specific language regarding Urban Agriculture; highlighting access to healthy food to include a food map; as well as, references to job and economic development related to food)
- Street/Mobile Food (both fresh food markets and prepared street food)
- Urban Agriculture (GrowTO, Soil Safety Guide, and rules around selling food grown in the city)
- Putting forth our intentions and developing a clear mandate
- Identify issues based on our criteria (for example: advocacy, youth engagement, diversity, and urban agriculture)
- Provide organization, support and energy to our community partners and initiatives
- Connecting with our community: what is important to you?
To download their full presentation, see here.
Job and Opportunities Board:
- Volunteer: Help map commercial kitchen spaces in Toronto. Will be shared online on Food Forward’s website. Contact Emily at email@example.com
- Powershift: Climate, justice, convergence in Ottawa on October 26-29 (bus going from Toronto). Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
- Join the Gardener’s caucus @potatoshift
- Free creative cooking class – Thursday 5-7PM (followed by human rights class 7-9PM) at 888 Dupont Street. Information at www.freescool.com
For more photos, see our facebook page www.facebook.com/TorontoYOUTHFoodPolicyCouncil
The next community meeting will be on Monday, December 3rd. Stay tuned for more details! If you have any questions, please email us at tYouthfpc@gmail.com.